A mentor of mine always says that where you end up in life will be determined largely by the people with whom you associate and the books that you read. She also always says, “leaders are readers!” Ever heard that before?
For the past 10 years, I’ve been what you’d call “a reader.” But a shift came when I met my husband in 2012 and started working with him in our business. I started a journey of reading success, leadership, marriage, and faith-based books, rather than a new novel every week. And it was a difficult adjustment. I loved the growth that I felt reading these books, but I missed curling up with a good story about princes and princesses and love and battles and mystery and all kinds of adventures!
But in the past year, I’ve become addicted to these success books, because they’re helping me create my own real life adventure story, and it has made all the difference…in my life, my marriage, and in our business.
So I want to share a very different kind of summer reading list than you’ll see out there right now on most blogs like mine: The Leader’s Summer Book List! These books cover topics from leadership principles, to the power of our words, to people skills, to relationships, to faith, to dreams, to serving others and giving, to daily habits, to personal growth and everything in between!!
The Leader’s Summer Book List…
- Developing the Leader Within You by John C. Maxwell – They call John Maxwell “the leadership guru” for a reason. Prior to this book, no success book had ever been written specifically on the topic of becoming a good leader. I just finished this one about a week ago, and I have to say it was one of the more helpful books I’ve read.
- An Enemy Called Average by John Mason – Just finished this book last night! This book is chock full of nugget after nugget! The chapters are only about 2 pages each, so it’s easy and quick to get through. I am tempted to keep this book with me for reference in my car or purse. It’s that good!!
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill – No leader’s reading list is complete without this book. In fact, it’s the very first and the most foundational success book ever written. Napoleon Hill took years to study, research, and question the most successful business men of the early 20th century in order to compile this book. And it is more relevant today than ever! Forever changed the way I think about goals, success principles, and what I’m capable of!
- The Go-Giver by Bob Burg & John David Mann – I’ll be honest, I’m starting this book today, so I’m including it because it’s on my current reading list!! I’ve heard incredible feedback on it though.
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie – This is like the Think and Grow Rich of people skills. The quintessential book that all others are founded on. Applying this in relationships, especially professional and business relationships, has changed a lot for me. I am much more intentional now about the relationships and partnerships I’m building daily.
- Friendship Factor by Alan Loy McGinnis – Now this one got more in depth on close relationships with people I’m already working with or have a personal relationship with. It helped me learn about helping people to feel valued and important. Ways to show your care for someone. Speaking people’s love languages, so to speak. Just such a beautiful book, especially if you’re working on your Fruitful Summer Relationships along with Lara Casey and Cultivate What Matters.
- The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz – When I read this particular book, it affected so many areas of my life…it was incredible. From thinking bigger about a situation, obstacle or goal to fixing excuses I was making to building my self-image. It is just phenomenal the impact this book has had on my life!
- The Dream Giver by Bruce Wilkinson – This, is by far, my favorite book on this whole entire list. How do I do it justice? It’s a quick read, but it’s a powerful journey this little book takes you on. This book helped me so much to commit my endeavors and dreams to God and just keep going on faith no matter what comes my way.
- Pep Talk by Terri Savelle Foy – Such an eye-opening book about the power of our words! I’ve read others, like Hung by the Tongue, but this particular book is so relevant to today’s woman! This book taught be how to create my future with my words, and it truly has made a difference big time! What we speak over ourselves, our goals, the people in our lives – it matters. Our words have life-giving, creative power!
- Cultivate by Lara Casey – You can preorder your copy here and get a ton of awesome freebies when you do! This one has such a soft spot in my heart!! What a powerful, beautiful, precious, much-needed book, I’ll tell you what! Every woman in any season needs to read this book. I’ve only just started it, but it’s already spoken to my heart like you would not believe in this season of planting seeds and being patience for the harvest!
Have you ever read any of these books? What are your favorite success/leadership/faith-based books? What’s on your summer reading list?