Then I found out that my mentor has been working on this area of her life as well, and she figured out something that really helped me. She told me, “Simplicity is the byproduct of FOCUS.”
It hit me! Sometimes de-cluttering isn’t just about physical items, but more about your mind, your heart, or, even more in my case, where your energy is going…Intangible things that we can’t see or touch, but we feel the affect on us. It’s about getting rid of what doesn’t matter most, to give room to what does.
“’Martha, Martha,’ the Lord answered, ‘you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.’” Luke 10:41-42
Reading this verse now, I think I finally understand it’s meaning. I have a whole new perspective. So, I had to be honest with myself – am I a Martha or a Mary? Martha allowed “to do’s” and things to distract her from what really mattered – listening to the Lord. How often do we do that? Guilty!
So, as part of my April planning/goals, I decided to simplify. I decided to focus on only the goals, habits, and people that truly matter. Prune, fine tune, redirect. Tending to what matters most, rather than being distracted by little things that would be nice now, but don’t move me closer to my goals in the future.
“Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.” Hebrews 12:1-2
How to simplify…
1) Take Inventory. What is my goal this month? Over the next 3-6 months? What is my goal by the end of this year? What won’t matter in 5 years?
2) Focus on who, not what. Who matters most? To whom do I have a responsibility?
3) Filter. I filtered my brainstorm of what I’d like to accomplish this month through questions 1 and 2.
4) Remove. I got rid of anything that didn’t get me closer to my goals or to the people who matter most.
5) Grace. This might be hardest part. I emotionally had to let those things go and give myself grace!
“Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:12-14
Let me know some of your goals this month! What are you focusing on? What areas of your life are you simplifying?